Saturday, July 5, 2008

It's Alive!!

My last post about what's now being called "waiting room knitting" has given my idea a life of it's own!

On Monday, when I had planned to contact the Stanford Auxiliary folks, I got a comment from Sara from the Stanford Hospital communications office. She thought I had a great idea and wanted to do a story on it. At the same time, my husband was being released from the hospital, so I hadn't had time to call the Auxiliary office at all. When I spoke to Sara I had to ask her to wait on the article until I'd had a chance to call them. Around the same time I also got a ravelry message from phydeaux (aka Brenda), with some leads to Erin at Bobbins Nest Studio and also to the Knitwit @ Stanford group. I called Erin on Tuesday as well as left a message at Stanford Auxiliary. I also sent an email and the link to the post to Lourdes @ Knitwits. Erin immediately wanted to be involved with the project. Lourdes emailed me back and thought there would be interest from the group to be involved as well. Ok! Only one piece is missing from the puzzle...I had to wait until Wednesday to hear from Sara C. at the Auxiliary.

On Wednesday I got the call, and Sara C. said that she also thought waiting room knitting is a good idea. She has to to talk to a sister program at the hospital to see how it would work, and she's going to get back to me. I gave her the blog address, too. Lourdes contacted a few Knitwit members who gave feedback, and we are all going to try to meet next week to throw out some more ideas. In addition, Lourdes sent me a link to an LYS that I hadn't heard of: Amazing Yarns.

I got to Amazing Yarn today, and I cannot believe I grew up in this area, and had no idea what a charming neighborhood exists in Redwood City on the drive to this shop! It really IS an amazing shop, and the owner, Andrea, is also wonderful. I did a little stash enhancement, and while we were winding balls in the industrial size ball-winder, I told Andrea about my waiting room knitting idea. She liked it, and said she'd like to be involved as well. She also will share whatever information we come up with with the knitting groups and guilds who meet in her home/shop on a regular basis.

This was supposed to be a short post about what's happened, but so much has happened! Can you believe it??

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

So your husband got released, then? Yay! And how wonderful that he knits, and how wonderful that the folks at Stanford like the knitting in the waiting area idea. Yay! You may never know how many lives you will have made easier--go Teri!